Home > Eclipse, Flex Builder > Subclipse 1.6 changes highlight and comment colors in CFEclipse

Subclipse 1.6 changes highlight and comment colors in CFEclipse

I just installed Subclipse 1.6 in my Flex Builder as there was some conflict between it and my TortoiseSVN install. I like to do my commits and updates via Eclipse so I’m not switching out to my Explorer window for quick commits. If there is any conflict resolution needed, or I need a little more fine grained control, I switch out to Tortoise (as Subclipse doesn’t do as good a job currently).

After I upgraded from Subclipse 1.4 to 1.6, for some reason (I pretty sure it was Subclipse as I didn’t upgrade anything else), it decided that it didn’t like my comment color in CFEclipse or my highlight color and decided to randomly alter those colors to something else…a really weird, dark green for the comment background color and a much darker shade of blue for the text highlight color. To my mild case of OCD, that is just unacceptable :) Plus it’s just really difficult to read *any* text with a dark green background

If you want to switch these options back to their original colors, do the following:
Window -> Preferences -> CFEclipse -> Editor -> CFML Colours -> CFML Comment Background
I switched this one back to white from dark green.
and
Window -> Preferences -> CFEclipse -> Editor -> Appearance color options -> Selection background color
This one I had to create a new custom color and set it to Red 49, Green 106, and Blue 197 (this, I think, is the windows highlight color).

So far these are the only things I’ve found that it changes. I’ll post new updates if I find anything else.

1. Mark Phippard
    April 6th, 2009 at 15:48 | #1

I can assure you that the Subclipse install did not specifically do this. I am not even sure how you would do it. But maybe there is some general bug in the Eclipse install? Assuming the colors it changed it too are not the defaults though, that sounds really weird.

2. Gareth
    April 6th, 2009 at 19:43 | #2

I’m not sure then, but Subclipse was the only thing that was installed. Perhaps there were some dependencies that got added at the same time and they changed my settings, but it was definitely not a welcome addition :)

3. Brandon
    April 22nd, 2009 at 10:01 | #3

FYI..

I did a fresh install from scratch of eclipse Ganymede last week, and added subclipse from the update site and got the same green background. What ever the cause was not due to upgrading, but just something in the version that was downloaded itself.

4. Gareth
    April 22nd, 2009 at 10:27 | #4

I’m not crazy! :) Thanks for posting. Probably just something in the settings that got committed with the version. Hopefully they’ll find it and remove whatever is causing the weirdness.

5. June 2nd, 2009 at 09:15 | #5

Thanks. I’m also OCD and it was driving me nuts.

6. Traesw
    June 12th, 2009 at 22:03 | #6

Thanks for the tip!!! This was driving me nuts as well.

7. Eric
    April 8th, 2010 at 16:11 | #7

A year later, I know, but this dark blue highlight color is killing me and either I’m blind (from that nasty color) or I don’t have the selection in Preferences that is identified in this post. I have this much:

Window -> Preferences -> CFEclipse -> Editor

but not the:

Appearance color options -> Selection background color

part. Version 1.3.4.200906240705 org.cfeclipse.cfml.feature.feature.group

8. Eric
    April 9th, 2010 at 10:15 | #8

I found it. I didn’t realize “Appearance color options” was within the Editor selection itself, I thought it was a child node.

Oh, what relief!

9. Gareth
    April 9th, 2010 at 14:03 | #9

Glad you found it. Definitely was a bit of an annoyance, and it made things a whole lot better once it has been changed back.

1. No trackbacks yet.